Uniden BC346XT Firmware Revision Notes 1.05.00
Here is what you need to do to apply the 1.05.00 update.
- Download the latest version of BC_VUP (the firmware update tool) by clicking BC_VUP_v3_03_00.zip.
- Unzip the file you downloaded in Step 1 to your desktop. Then run setup.exe to install the firmware updater. (If you previously installed a version of BC_VUP, be sure you delete the old install files before reinstalling. These files are in a "BCSS" directory.)
- Run the BC_VUP3 application you installed in Step 2. Follow all on-screen instructions. You do not need to enter a registration key. When prompted, select the BC346XT scanner and the 1.05.00 firmware version.
- Most update problems are caused by serial port issues. See the troubleshooting hints in the Update Troubleshooting section if you have problems.
- Two great forums exist for sharing information about this scanner within the user community:
What is Changed by This Update?
This update makes the following changes to your BC346XT scanner:
- Add support for storing Unit IDs in channels with alpha tags.
- Fixed a problem where corrupted memory caused by a bad PC programming upload would make the scanner lock up on the copyright screen.
- Fixed a bug that caused a bad hit count with some PC software.
- Save Hold status immediately instead of at power-down.
- Add ATT indication in Close Call Only mode
- Fixed a bug that could cause Control Channel Only in Search Mode not correctly follow a rebanded system.
Previous Update v1.04.00
- Remove the option for Control Channel Only for Motorola systems. All Motorola systems are trunked using Control Channel Only...this setting is unnecessary.
- Improvement of Close Call performance against frequency drift.
- Change the order of priority scan to SQK order.
- Fixing an issue where priority scan couldn't work when holding the highest priority priority channel.
- Fixing an issue where, when on a trunked system, the priority interval is 2 seconds even when the option is set for 10 seconds.
- Fixing an issue where a GPS alert could cause the scanner to lock up if several alert points were within close proximity.
Using the Unit ID Feature
The Unit ID (UID) feature lets you see the unit ID of the radio currently transmitting on Motorola and EDACS systems. To see the Unit ID, you need to first turn on the global Unit ID option in the Settings menu.
- Press MENU.
- Scroll to SETTINGS and press E/yes.
- Scroll to Disp. Unit ID and press E/yes.
- Scroll to On and press E/yes.
When turned on, in Display Modes 1 and 2 the scanner will alternate the current channel information and the Unit ID information in Line 2 of the display. In Display Mode 3, the scanner will display the Unit ID information on Line 3 of the display.
If you program a Unit ID into a channel, you can assign an Alpha to the Unit ID. You program a Unit ID just like an iCall ID (press ./no
then the Unit ID).
- In some cases where you catch a transmission already in progress you will not see the Unit ID.
- In some cases where a second party responds to a transmission before the channel is released, you will not see the second party's Unit ID and will continue to see the first party's Unit ID.
Follow these tips to troubleshoot any update problem you encounter: * When prompted, be sure to turn off the scanner, remove the batteries, and hold down both the L/O and 6 buttons while plugging in the AC adapter. The backlight should come on and remain on until the end of the update.
- If an error occurs during the update, simply repeat all steps, including removing power, holding down L/O and 6, and plugging in AC power. Even if the backlight is already on, you need to repeat this step if you restart the update.
- Almost all update error messages or faults that result in the scanner powering up with a blank display the the backlight on after the update are caused by:
- Incorrect COM port selection: Be sure you have selected the COM port that the scanner is plugged into.
- COM port software conflicts: No other software can be running that uses the COM port. Be sure to close any running scanner control software. Also, if you have ever used a PDA with this PC, there is probably synchronization software running all the time that takes over the COM port. You can usually stop that software by right-clicking on its icon in the lower right side of your PC screen, then selecting "Quit" or "Exit."
If your PC does not have a COM port, you can use a USB-->RS232 adapter. Uniden sells such an adapter specifically for this scanner (Model USB-1). Or, you can use many other adapters that are available at computer retailers. Note that some adapters do not work, or require updated drivers. Uniden only supports the USB-1.
- Interruption during the update.
- For all of the above conditions, you can restore normal scanner operation only by successfully applying the update. Restart the update from the beginning and ensure that you've followed all steps correctly.
This protocol document revises and replaces the protocol published in The Complete Reference.