This page contains information on applying the BCT8 Rebanding Update. Read the following sections carefully.
Installing BC_VUP v188.8.131.52
You must install the latest version of BC_VUP in order to apply the rebanding update. To install the update, click BC_VUP_v184.108.40.206.zip
and save the file to a directory on your hard drive. Then, unzip that file and run BC_VUP_V220.127.116.11.exe and follow any prompts you receive. The installer will place a BC_VUP icon on your desktop.
If you have other Uniden scanners, you can use this version to apply updates for those scanners, as well (i.e. if the instructions for the other firmware update calls for an earlier version such as 18.104.22.168 or 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199 can be used with no problems).
Applying the Update
- Download the update by clicking BCT8_V1_60.zip. Save this file to a known location on your hard drive.
- Extract the BCT8_V1_60.scn file from the zip archive. Do not rename this file.
- Plug your scanner into the PC's serial port (or USB-->Serial adapter if your computer does not have a native serial port). Note that you must know what COM port the scanner is assigned to in order to proceed.
- Click the BC_VUP icon on your desktop and follow all instructions that appear.
- When prompted, select the BCT8_V1_60.scn file you downloaded above.
Follow these tips to troubleshoot any update problem you encounter:
- When prompted, be sure to turn off the scanner and hold down the PVT, L/O, and 6 buttons while plugging in the AC adapter. The backlight should come on and remain on until the end of the update.
- If an error occurs during the update, simply repeat all steps, including removing power, holding down PVT, L/O, and 6, and plugging in AC power. Even if the backlight is already on, you need to repeat this step if you restart the update.
- Almost all update error messages are caused by:
- Incorrect COM port selection: Be sure you have selected the COM port that the scanner is plugged into.
- COM port software conflicts: No other software can be running that uses the COM port. Be sure to close UASD and any other scanner control software. Also, if you have ever used a PDA with this PC, there is probably synchronization software running all the time that takes over the COM port. You can usually stop that software by right-clicking on its icon in the lower right side of your PC screen, then selecting "Quit" or "Exit."
- If your PC does not have a COM port, you can use a USB-->RS232 adapter. You can use many other adapters that are available at computer retailers. Note that some adapters do not work, or require updated drivers. Adapters known to work use either the Prolific PL2303 chipset or the FTDI FT2xxx-series chipset. Uniden cannot provide support for 3rd-party adapters.
Entering a Rebanding Table
To set a bank as a rebanded system, set the bank to MOT Type I or Type II Custom (E1-CUS or E2-CUS). Then, apply the rebanding table as follows:
For standard rebanded systems, you need to set Band Plan 1 and Band Plan 2 as:
| Band Plan
|| Base Freq (Lower)
|| Base Freq (Upper)
|| 25 kHz
|| 25 kHz
- Select the Trunking Programming mode and the bank you want to change.
- Use [Δ] / [∇] to choose Motorola Type 2 Custom (E2-CUS) or Type 1 Custom (E1-CUS) and press [E].
- Use [Δ] / [∇] to choose "bASE" then press [E].
- Use [Δ] / [∇] to choose the Configuration Block Number (1 to 6), and press [E].
- Use -  to enter a new Base (Lower) Frequency, then press [E]. Then Upper Frequency is displayed.
- Use -  to enter a new Upper Frequency, then press [E]. Then Base (Lower) Frequency is displayed.
- Press [Δ] to change to entering the Spacing Frequency.
- Use -  to enter a new Spacing Frequency, then press [E].
Note: You can only enter within a range of 5 - 100 kHz, and 5 or 12.5kHz multiples. If a Base Frequency hasn't been set yet, the setting of Spacing will not be accepted.
- Press [Δ] to change to entering the Offset Channel.
- Use -  to enter a new Offset Channel, then press [E]. The display changes for selecting the Polarity (PLUS).
Note: You can only input within a range of 0-1023. If a Base Frequency hasn't been set yet, the setting of Offset will not be accepted.
- Use [Δ] / [∇] to choose the Polarity (PLUS or no PLUS). The Polarity (no PLUS) is displayed below. (The "POL" is flashing.)
- Press [E] to store the Polarity. Then the Offset Channel is displayed.
- Press [RESUME] key. The scanner returns to the Configuration Block setting screen.
- Use [Δ] / [∇] to enter the next Configuration Block Number (1 to 6), and press [E]. Then, repeat from step 5.
Revised PC Protocol