Since the 10 NOAA weather channels now cooperate with the FCC and DHS to alert you of other hazards besides weather, it's important to understand how weather mode works:
- Weather channels cannot be locked out.
- The scanner does not run Close Call checks in the background while monitoring the weather channels.
- Normal weather scan treats the weather channels like any other channel: the scanner cycles through the channels, pausing whenever it detects a signal. In normal weather scan, the scanner does not react to alert tones on these channels.
- In Weather alert mode, the scanner checks the weather channels for alert tones and only opens squelch when it detects one. You can program the scanner to limit alerts to your county through the Weather Alert menu.
- With a Weather alert priority scan, the scanner checks the weather channels every 5 seconds when you are in scan or search mode or Close Call mode. Weather alert priority scan does not function in the search and store modes (Search and Store or Close Call Auto Store), in Tone Out mode, or in Band Scope mode.